Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The weather and Hispanic Heritage Month 2012

Hello, parents! It is so nice that the weather is gently changing! I can feel the excitement of the kids at morning recess as they are no longer mired down by the heat while they play. This change in temperature comes at a great time as we are talking about the seasons, months, and weather. So far this week, we have divided the months of the year into seasons (la primavera ~spring; el otono ~fall; el verano ~summer and el invierno ~winter) and will be starting to address the weather and how we can describe it in Spanish. This is a little challenging as the weather is so steady here in Arizona, but I am hoping to help your children understand that in other places around the country and the world, four very distinct seasons are felt throughout the year. This will be our topic for the next week or so and then we will begin on the body and its parts. We'll see how they do and how much we can get through before fall break. Again, I want to make sure they have a grasp on the current content before moving on.

As some of you may know, September 15th marks the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month. The recognition of this month will continue until October 15th. This article will tell you a little about why this month is celebrated and what is going on around the valley to honor it: http://phoenix.about.com/od/events/a/HispanicHeritage.htm
Some of these events have already passed, but they are a good heads up for next year. Some events are still to come.

Also, Estrella Mountain Community College is holding some events to commemorate this month as well. Here is what you can attend that is close by. http://news.estrellamountain.edu/2012/09/18/emcc-celebrates-hispanic-heritage-month

Now that I know about these events, I hope to be more on top of it and attend some of them next year. Let me know if you have been able to catch any of these events and how you liked them. I'd love to hear about them!
Adios,
Sra. Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment