Friday, August 31, 2012

Numeros, Colores y Formas

Happy Friday, Kinder parents! This week was a combination of learning topics for your children. I continued doing some reinforcement of Spanish colors as well as introducing numbers 1-10. Most of the children can count to 10 in Spanish, but it's recognizing each number individually that they aren't familiar with yet. I will introduce games in the next few weeks to help them begin to do this and I have no doubt they will catch on. Yesterday in Mrs. Kelly's class we started talking about formas or shapes and I will talk to Ms. Sitzmann's class about that today as well. Thankfully, many of these words are cognates or words that have the same origin and in turn very similar pronounciation in English as they do in Spanish, so this should be fun for them to learn. 

This is a fun and easy activity you can do with your children that I think will enrich their learning of Spanish. First up is a local bilingual radio station, 95.1 Latino Vibe http://www.951latinovibefm.com/index.aspx. I was so excited to find this station about a year ago that is truly bilingual. I realize that some of the content of isn't appropriate for five and six year olds, but what this station does is give your children an opportunity to hear the language spoken "in real time". Much of the content is translated to English, so that you can follow along with what is being said. Also, the music played is modern and upbeat making it fun for kids. I like to have it on occasionally while we are in the car and its fun just to hear something different. 

It has been great fun sharing my love of the Spanish language with your children. They are so exciting and fun to be around. Enjoy the 3 day weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment