Friday, November 30, 2012

la familia

Hola, parents! It feels like a while since I posted, but since last week was such a short week, I thought I would wait until this week to tell you what we have been up to in Kinder Spanish. This week, we began our study on families. The kids have learned the names for basic family members very well as I think it is something they can really identify with. We have had a fun time naming our family members and learning how nouns in Spanish have either a masculine "o" ending or a feminine "a" ending and how they relate to the words for family members in Spanish. I was so excited to see how quickly the students picked up on this very simple but essential element of the Spanish language.

I chatted briefly this week with Ms. Sitzmann and she let me know that her class was talking about languages one day and when she asked if anyone in the class spoke more than one language, numerous students raised their hand and said they spoke Spanish as well as English! I am so happy to know that they feel they know enough to consider themselves Spanish speakers and more importantly that they are so enthusiastic about the language. If I am able to instill a love for the Spanish language in them this year, I will feel a great sense of accomplishment. Teaching them to speak the language will be much easier if they are already eager to learn it.

I hope you will join me at the Trivium book fair tomorrow at Barnes and Noble as I will be reading a bilingual book as well as a book in English. I am excited about going forward this month with all the festivities and being able to teach the children about the different fiestas that are held in Spanish speaking countries throughout the world during this time.

Adios,
Sra. Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment