máscaras or masks your children brought home this week when we started learning about el Día de Los Muertos. They did an amazing job of coloring, making the masks bright and lively just as they are for the celebrations held throughout Spanish speaking communities. I was so pleased to see that they were not scared or frightened, but held on to the knowledge that el Día de Los Muertos is a day where loved ones who have passed on are celebrated and remembered. The good times and loved shared between families is what is emphasized and the kids really let me know that that is what is important on this day. Next week we plan on making marigolds which is the official flower of this celebratory day, chosen because of its bright and vibrant color. I plan to make this a two day project with one class going home with it on Wednesday and the other on Thursday. Please keep your eye out for it!
Also this week, we continued our study of the body and its parts. This may be a long unit as there are so many parts to learn and I want to make sure the children have a firm grasp on most of the major parts. We played a really fun game with dice in order to for one of two teams in the class to be able to draw a complete picture of la oruga muy hambrienta or the very hungry caterpillar. I won't give anything more away as I'm sure your child would more than love to tell you about it if they haven't already. It was very exciting to be able to incorporate both counting and naming of body parts into one game. We will definitely be doing it again!
I hope to make it to at least one Día de Los Muertos celebration either this weekend or next. If I get really brave, I will post pictures! I'd also like to find some pan de muerto (Mexican Bread of the Dead) or sugar skulls to show the kids, both of which are representative of this holiday. Wish me luck!
Sra. Hamilton
No comments:
Post a Comment